ORC Week 2 - Some Progress in the Kitchen

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

I think I owe my kitchen an apology after last week's post.  The truth is I love this little kitchen even though it doesn't have fancy pants finishes or high end gadgets. What it does have is a perfectly laid out work triangle, plenty of countertop work space, and lots of potential!  

Remember what my kitchen looked like before we moved in?


Let me bring you up to date on some of the changes we've made so far.


The cabinets have been painted Sherwin Williams Dover White - its a clean, warm white, and we used an oil-based paint for durability. We also replaced the kitchen countertops and I decided to go with butcherblock countertops to add some softness and warmth.  I love lots of white combined with wood, so we replaced our stainless steel sink with white porcelain.  We also changed out the faucet.



After a lengthy search we found an almost counter depth refrigerator that fit the available space perfectly!


And we tiled the backsplash.  White subway tile was selected for its timeless clean look and budget-friendly price.


A very poor quality photo, but we've removed one of the upper cabinets and the ugly wooden valance that was so common in homes of this era.  Note new vintage light fixture above the sink.  It's so sweet and the prismatic shade casts the most wonderful, sparkly light.  In place of the deleted cabinet is more white subway tile, and soon I will have some shelves instead! Something like this.

What else?  Well, I have a small seating area that could  use some love in a large way. Between the nasty wallpaper and the 80's flooring I have 50 shades of blah going on here. Left side of the wall shows the wall repair in progress. 

And speaking of walls, these are crying out for help!! I think a wallpaper intervention is in order. 

Behold.


That's all I can share for now!  I hope to have my dining table and chairs figured out and ready to share with you next week.  

Let's head on over and see what the other ladies have managed to get done, but meet me back here next week for another progress report!!




The Green Room Interiors provides interior decorating and design services to happy homeowners in Chattanooga, TN.  If you'd like to discover the joy of living in a well designed home, contact Kim Lemmon at 423.653.3186 or email thegreenroominteriors@gmail.com




39 comments:

Thehouseofhampton said...

Hello! Wow....so many big changes. Very impressive. I'm not sure what I love the most, as you've made excellent choices in your selections. I'm charmed with the light, warmed by the wood, and holding my breath to see your wall paper selection. I just knew this was going to be another killer ONC.
Sharon
@novaraway

Julia Ryan said...

You've made so much progress this week! Nice job!

Kerry Steele- Design du Monde said...

I really love all of the white and removing that one upper was a great choice.

Elizabeth @ The Little Black Door said...

You are hard at work!! Love the tile and countertop combo and I think wallpaper in there is going to look fabulous!!

Mary Ann Pickett said...

I love the butcher block counter tops...this room is going to be so GREAT!

Patty Day @Pattys Epiphanies said...

Your choices for your kitchen are awesome and smart!
Will be checking in next Wednesday. I bet that eating space will look amazing very soon!

Erin said...

Gah I can't believe you're taking on a kitchen for a six week makeover! This is bananas! Looks so good already.

StagerLinda said...

I love what you are doing with your kitchen. It shows your personality and makes we want to come over for coffee. Inserting 'you' into it makes it outstanding: butcher block counters, pendant light, gorgeous white sink(!), and love, love, love your idea for open shelves.

Anonymous said...

So envious of all the countertop area you have and love the detail changes you've made so far. Can not wait to see how you incorporate that or similar wallpaper. Glad you're doing your kitchen in this challenge cause I know you'll have some great ideas that can inspire me with my needy kitchen.

Vel Criste said...

Love the tile and that wallpaper if ever you put that up on that wall Kim! You've accomplished so much already! Keep it up and I'm sure you'll get your kitchen of your dreams in no time!

My Notting Hill said...

Love those subway tiles and I think the shelves are going to be terrific!

The Pink Pagoda said...

Oh wow, Kim!! You've done a lot already! It's looking great -- cannot wait to see what paper you choose!

Jessie said...

Great progress, my friend! I love all the changes you made. The subway backsplash, butcherblock countertop, cabinets and faucet are looking fab! Can't wait to see the wallpaper on your walls! This kitchen will look so amazing when it's finished, I am sure!

Naomi@DesignManifest said...

Um, it already looks fabulous! I love the warmth of the wood counters. Stainless shelves are a nice modern touch. I'm so curious to see what wallpaper you choose.

René said...

I love what you have done so far! Man you've been busy!

Lisa Mende Design said...

Cant wait to see it all done! I know it will be fab!

Teresa Hatfield ~ Splendid Sass said...

Kim-
I cannot wait to see the finished room! It will be fabulous!
Teresa
xoxo

Ashley said...

Holy crap--was this all in one week?!?! The subway tile and butcherblock looks fantastic.

pam {simple details} said...

Wow, Kim ~ you're rocking and rolling over there! Butcher block counters are one of my favorites in a white kitchen! Eeek, can't wait for the wallpaper, it will be awesome over there!

stephanie at Stephanie Kraus Designs said...

Love the wallpaper! Its gonna look great that cute little kitchen!!

cindy hattersley design said...

Those open shelves will be such a wonderful addition! White subway tile is just the best isn't it? Can't wait to see what else you have in mind!!

Unknown said...

The little details you are adding are making such an impact on this space...and all without a gut renovation, I love it!!!

SHERRY HART said...

I don't think you need to apologize to the kitchen....it seems pretty tough and I think it is looking forward to being treated to all the love you are now giving it! I am trying to talk my sister into butcher block for an area of her kitchen also.

Unknown said...

Love it already! Good luck my friend on decisions and execution! XoNan y

Laney Reusch / Reusch Interior Design said...

Looks great!! Love the shelves...feels so fresh!!!

Can't wait to see what you do next week!!

http://reuschinteriordesign.blogspot.com

alison giese Interiors said...

Really loving the subways/stainless shelves combo. Timeless and clean. Which fridge make/model did you go with? We'll be in the market before too long, and the cabinet-depth selection has been sad. Like the handles on yours, though.
Wallpaper is gonna be goooood!
alison g.

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

It looks so much warmer with the wood countertops. Subway tile is my all time favorite. I also like the idea of open shelving. That seating area could be great, and I am sure you will transform it to perfection.

Bethany [at] Powell Brower Home said...

kim - its looking sooooooo good. what brilliant choices. i thought in the first pic that the lower cabinets were like a mineral sagey green and I was thinking that was so cool, but all white with white subway sounds amazing. i cant wait to see more. hurry! :)

Beth Connolly said...

I love lots of white in a kitchen. Looking great!

Heather Moore Grahling | Vivid Hue Home said...

ooohhhh, can't wait to see what's next! how exciting! i'm posting my update to my guest bedroom tomorrow as a linking participant. would love for you to check out! cheers.

Taylor Greenwalt said...

You go girl! So much to do in only 6 weeks...love the choices you've made and cant wait to see the final results!

Stacey said...

Love the choice for subway tiles. I have them in my kitchen too! The lighting is fab and so is that wallpaper in that space you showed! You've made superb progress! Love what you've done so far!

Heather@Tatter and Fray said...

I love it all! The painted cabinets, the fridge, but especially the counters! And the wallpaper inspiration photo is fabulous!

Andrea said...

Your kitchen is looking magnificent!! I love all of the crisp white!

XOXO,
The Glam Pad

Anonymous said...

Hi! My name is Kate (a long time reader) and I just jumped into blogging to be in the ORC link party. I cannot get over your progress!! The butcherblock is awesome and then the subway tile and wallpaper!!!! Can't wait to see more!

Kim said...

Oh it is looking fantastic ... and I know that kitchen is wrapped in love!! You are giving it it's due!! The open shelving on the subway tile is going to be beautiful!! xo

charmaine said...

I am loving your choices so far and that wallpaper! This is going to be good!

Raina Cox said...

You're off to a roaring start!!

Elisa of Fancy Free Me said...

Yay!! This is going to be so fab. I love the subway tile. You really can't beat it for style and price. You are doing great things, Keep it up!!