One Room Challenge - I'm Making Over My Kitchen!

Tuesday, October 1, 2013

The One Room Challenge, masterminded by the brilliant Linda at Calling It Home is kicking off today and I'm so incredibly excited/honored/humbled to have been given this amazing opportunity to participate - again! If you missed my family room makeover, you can read about it here.

And I'm in good company.  Take a look at the other participants.  Do you know how this all plays out?   I, along with the talented ladies listed above, am going to make over a room from start to finish in the allotted six week timeframe posting updates on my progress every Wednesday.  

This time I've got my sights set on my own kitchen.  And a sad little kitchen it is.  Here's how the kitchen looked before we closed on the house.


These photos don't adequately capture the layers of bacon grease and and grime that coated every surface in this kitchen.  You'll have to trust me on that. 

And in case you're thinking - "Yay! Kitchen makeover!!" and imagining this type of reveal
then you should probably reel in those expectations.  Because true to my typical MO, I'm working with a lot of the existing elements in the kitchen.  Yep, we're going to shine up the turd - and we also have some things to address from a functionality standpoint.

1.  Like storage.  I have no pantry in my kitchen so all of my cookware, dinnerware, and everything (including groceries) is in my kitchen cabinets.  And for the most part that's fine.  The problem is that my brooms, mops, big sack of dog food and bottled drinks don't fit in the cabinets. 

2.  Lighting.  In the second image of my kitchen you can just see the tips of the pull chains from the disgusting ceiling fan with attached light kit that was the main source of light for the space.  It's an inadequate way to light a kitchen, at best.

3.  Look at it.  It's not the most inspiring space to cook in, so some hard core decorating needs to happen.  Did you take note of those circa 1989 whitish tile floors???   Yeah, those are staying. 

And so now I think you have a pretty clear picture of the task at hand.  And I'm going to leave you with a few inspiration photos that I find appealing. 




The work party starts next week.  Come on back and check on my progress.  

And you must visit the other participants.  Here's where you'll find them.





37 comments:

Vel Criste said...

Kim, you are a true 'magician' when it comes to decorating, so I know you will get the feel and look of all your inspiration photos!!! So excited for you and I can't wait to follow along! I'm joining tomorrow too for my son's bedroom. :-) Have a great day!

Elizabeth @ The Little Black Door said...

I love kitchen makeovers that are real life. And with your style I know this will turn out great. Your inspiration pictures are speaking to me! :)

Raina Cox said...

A creative reimagination with a real-life budget - that's the stuff I want to see.

This is going to be good!

Julia Ryan said...

I am so excited to see this! We knew we were moving during the last ORC but didn't know where. This time we have a new old house that needs updates in every room. I'm getting so much inspiration from your kitchen already! Yay!

Thehouseofhampton said...

Your words are like poetry. Shine up a turd! Ha... I saw what you did on the last ORC and it was amazing. I'm really excited to see what your brilliance will do with this room. This one is going to be great! I just know it.....
Sharon
@novaraway

Beth Connolly said...

This is a challenge for sure, but I know you will make it fabulous.

pam {simple details} said...

YES! You're the perfect one for a kitchen makeover, dying to see you transform this, Kim!

Kim said...

I cannot wait to see what you do ... and you will inspire many homeowners that cannot gut and start all over! xo

Unknown said...

A huge project to tackle Kim! I need to do the same thing. Best of luck and have a fun time!
xo Nancy

Erin said...

I would KILL to start out with that kitchen... you will make that fabulous. Can't wait!

Lesli at My Old Country House said...

If anyone can do it! you can! I am playing along vicariously...can;t wait to see how shiny you make this turd! lol

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

I am so happy to read that you are fixing up what you have. I will probably do the same when we move, so this will be a great source of reference. Thanks for joining in.

Julie at Monkeygrasshill.blogspot.com said...

Shine that turd! too funny. I know it will be a huge and beautiful transformation. But I love that you're trying to set the expectations lower. :)

BTW - I have that tole chandy in the Domino kitchen picture. It's been in my attic for a while now. I had a pair of them, but gave my mom one.

Kerry Steele- Design du Monde said...

You crack me up! Polish that turd, Girl!!
You've got great inspiration pics.

Mary Ann Pickett said...

Can't wait to see you work your MAGIC. You crack me up about shining up a ....

Taylor Greenwalt said...

This will be fun to follow...a lot of work...but it will be worth it..

Jessie said...

You have a great eye so I am sure your kitchen will turn out fabulous in the end! Can't wait to follow along! Great inspirations, by the way.

Kim @ Plumberry Pie said...

Yay! Can.not.wait for this! I polished the turd in my kitchen too and it was sooooo worth it! Love those inspiration photos!

Beth of designPOST Interiors said...

I will be checking in for sure! Can't wait to see what you do! I am also linking up so I will be counting on your veterans for some motivation :)

René said...

Haha! Your analogy cracked me up! Will have to remember that one. Here's to making the most of what we have.

The Pink Pagoda said...

I'm going to love seeing what you do here, Kim. You're so creative and have such amazing taste -- I know it's going to be incredible!

My Interior Life said...

Yay! Love the ORC - can't wait to see what you do. It will be fab!

SHERRY HART said...

OK...this is gonna be good cause I know you can work some pretty good magic. Of course with that before picture....you might just need a magician :)

Bethany [at] Powell Brower Home said...

kim - im so excited to see what you do here. boy will this be good! and after the last ORC you did, i have very high hopes. that room of yours was/is KILLER

Karena said...

Kim I have no doubt that your kitchen ois going to be wonderful and I will love watching along!!

Xoxo
Karena
Velvet Pumpkins Giveaway

mom23 said...

"..shine up the turd".....Love it! You crack me UP!! Can't wait to see.....

Ashley said...

Yippee!! So glad you are participating again, Kim. Your lemon-fabric table from the last ORC round still haunts my dreams...in a good way, of course.

Work your magic on that kitchen!

alison giese Interiors said...

We're hoping to tackle a kitchen project after the first of the year, so bring on the inspiration and tips!
alison g.

Holly Phillips @ The English Room said...

I am thrilled to be in the One Room Challenge with you. It is a much needed swift kick in the rear to get this home office of mine looking good.

Cannot wait to see what everyone comes up with and the AFTER shots especially your kitchen!

Holly

Naomi@DesignManifest said...

oh you are going to make it fabulous, Kim! I can already tell this one has potential.

Heather@Tatter and Fray said...

I can't wait to see what you do! Your inspiration photos are great -- I'm loving butcher block countertops lately (is that weird?? :).

Carrie said...

I am a lot more excited about a real kitchen makeover like this than a super fancy ($$) one. Can't wait to see what you do!

Stacey said...

I am glad to see that you're going to work with what you have! Let the creative fun begin! I'm on a tight budget so lot's of thrifting will be taking place!

cindy hattersley design said...

Oh my goodness you were brave to tackle your kitchen! Can't wait to see the progress! Maybe you will spur me on to get mine done!!

Price Style & Design said...

Can't wait to see what you do! I absolutely loved your last ORC! You are so talented!

Teresa Hatfield ~ Splendid Sass said...

Kim-
I can't wait to see the finished kitchen! I know that it will be beautiful. I love these One Room Challenges!
Teresa
xoxo

therelishedroost said...

I love seeing kitchen makeovers this is going to be great!! you have a great layout to begin with so I know you will do a wonderful job!!
Best,
Karolyn