Thriftin'

Sunday, June 13, 2010

Some recent acquisitions.  Some in as-found condition:






Brass side table missing its glass.  Easy fix.  Love that  bamboo detail on the brass legs. Needs a good shining.  Have you tried Barkeeper's Friend on brass? Gets all the tarnish off.  Then shine it up with a good brass polish.



Found the original tag under the chair.  Drexel Heritage, 1978. One of the front legs is slightly caddywampus (southern slang for crooked), but the husband can take care of that.. What do you think - that's gotta be the original upholstery (not in a good way)



Got a pair of these.  Very solid but that picnic tablecloth "fabric" will have to go! (its vinyl)



Crazy for this canary yellow lamp. It weighs a ton and has that amazing lattice detail. Sweet!  The lampshade was classic thrift store condition:
Me:  Can I just leave this with you?(handing cashier the fly-poop stained ill-fitting lampshade)
Cashier:  (looks at shade, then at me, then at cashier next aisle over, then back at me) Says nothing.
Cashier at next aisle over: (sighs) it's okay, they always wanna do that..



Somebody was awarded this in 1971 for something, but I won't be able to read the rest of it until the tarnish is removed.  On silver, I love Wright's Silver Cream.  About $6 at Walmart and  gets the job done.  I can't wait to fill this with orchids. 


A pair of these before (in great shape, but slightly oppressive)


the materials


and after...






Upholstery fabric by Covington is treated for outdoor use, meaning cleanups will be a breeze!



Alabaster!  Got a pair..



Added a cute striped lampshade from Target.  Already sold at my space at The Galleries at Southside.

Another before






Sanding + glossy white paint + leftover calendar  prints under new glass top.


Hope your week is fruitful!


24 comments:

Kathysue said...

Omg you made a hall didn't you. Love that you said caddy wampus, My mom always says that!!She is a Southern gal too!! The alabaster lamps are great, orchids in the trophy bowl will look amazing and I love what you did to the Queen Anne chairs with white and the great funky print. You are very good my dear, very gooooood!! Kathysue

Tonia Lee Smith said...

A lady after my own heart. I love the trophy, I never seem to find any and when I do they are an arm and a leg {go figure}, but the Alabaster lamps, fabulous find.

A Perfect Gray said...

love that table base! some awesome finds there!

jeanette from everton terrace said...

I could kick myself for getting rid of my small collection of vintage silver trophies when we moved! I'm in love with the lamps and your revamp of the chairs is fastastic. I used "caddywampus" on my blog last week and I'm not even southern (perhaps at heart) - we should try to get everyone to use it at least once a week - it's a great word. Also, (bit long winded here this morning) thanks for the barkeeper's friend suggestion, I've got some brass keys that need work.

Robyn said...

LOOOOOK at you with all of your GREAT and FABULOUS FINDS! LOVE love love love that lattice lamp. LOVE it!

Thanks for your SUPER SWEET comment on my blog about my built in! I really appreciate that!

Robyn said...

OHHh and I ADORE the white chairs now with that FABULOUS and FUNKY green and white print! AWESOME!

Unknown said...

Oooh, this is my favorite kind of post! I love DIY, I get so inspired! Great finds, those chairs and the table with the calendar prints came out great! Also, I have an alabaster lamp from Grandma's house, it is actually one of my favorite things in my house, so retro chic!

Sharon Brown said...

Great finds!

Bring Pretty Back said...

It is so funny because when I look at the items I can not see what you see to turn them into something beautiful. I would have passed all of them by, and you found treasures. Envious of those of you that have this gift!
Have a pretty day,
Kristin

Karen said...

You really scored! I especially love the table base. I saw something similar at a local shop. The owners go to estate sales and thrift shops and rework pieces to sell. They painted the table base gray and added an antique mirror for the top. It was really interesting.

Privet and Holly said...

My pulse absolutely RACED when I saw what you did to the table ~ the white, the bird prints.....WOW!
I also love the yellow lattice lamp ~ what a funny story about the shade! I just bought a lamp YESTERDAY at an estate sale, and the first thing I said was, "Gotta find a new shade!" Great finds ~ and fixes ~ all!
xx Suzanne

Emily A. Clark said...

Oh wow, what great finds! I am loving that yellow lamp and brass table.

Vinda Sonata said...

nice chairs and tables. very alice-in-wonderland-esque. great finds!!

A Flair for Vintage Decor said...

Oh, great finds!! Love them and the transformation!!

Dane said...

OMG I want to go thrift store shopping with you! It is one of my favorite past times.

Your suggestions for what you use to clean brass will come in helpful for me as well.

I'm so excited to go read more of your blog...thank you so much for the follow...but I think I'm the lucky one that you found me!

BTW, I love the lamps! I have a room of just lamps I've bought...so hard not to buy them. =)

*bisous*

Dane

P.S. I'm getting a wee blue girl from Timbreblue Whippets. She's only 3 weeks old yet...so I've another 7 weeks wait. I shall call her Tallulah!

Marija said...

Love your transformations! Is it silly that I'm so anxious to see what that trophy says?! Thanks for the silver tip, too!

Diana Mieczan said...

I love posts like that sooooo much! That table and lamp are stunning:) You did such a great job:) Kisses darling and enjoy your Tuesday:)

k said...

oh my goodness, i love your blog...i love before and afters!

Marcus Design said...

Your right, that yellow lamp is divine! And I love the pair of chairs that you sprayed white and re-upholstered! Great work, all such fabulous finds :)
Nancy

Bring Pretty Back said...

Kim, Isn't that amazing how a true friend can pick that up that something is not right, and you think you are acting fine... yes, happiness or unhappiness shows even if we don't think it does.
Thank you so much for your comment on my blog .
Have a pretty night,
Kristin

jules @ The Diversion Project said...

oooo, cool loot!! the tables are lovely. well done you!

ashlina {the decorista} said...

ok now that looks like some serious fun. you have such a great eye! love it.

Farah said...

Love the transformation of table, I love these type of trash to treasure project.. they showed the creativity in you.... love it and yes the lamp is something very beautiful love it

My Interior Life said...

Kim, I love all your finds! And you were so sweet to leave the comment on my blog about my new thrift store find. I love your suggestions too, and I think orange would look fabulous - I just don't think it would work with the other colors in the space. But, I will definitely keep you updated on what I choose. My husband's from Chattanooga so we get there quite often. I've been to the Galleries at Southside - what a great place! I will be happy to share any of my Nashville sources with you. I got the table and chairs at the Habitat for Humanity home store. Email me anytime: themcgeesr@comcast.net.