Designing with Architectural Salvage

Sunday, June 6, 2010

If you have read any of my blog posts over the past few months, you probably know I have renovated several historic homes over the past ten years. I am so blessed to have had the opportunity to bring these rundown houses back to beautiful and useful homes!  Working up close and personal on historic homes gave me a real appreciation for the details that are so special and unique to older homes.  Decorating old houses is a real pleasure because the great architecture enhances whatever you put in the space!

Don't have an old house with great architectural details?  Don't despair - architectural salvage to the rescue! Here in Chattanooga we have a few great resources for finding salvage  - The Architectural Exchange and Estate of Confusion. Either place has a great selection of old mantels, clawfoot tubs, lighting fixtures, doors and hardware.


Here are some great ways to incorporate architectural salvage in your home - 


No working fireplace required!  This salvaged mantel is just propped against the wall in its gloriously timeworn finish!

I love a great antique chandelier!  (be sure to have the wiring check out by a professional!)









Gorgeous antique doors!



Architectural salvage as accessories....












But my favorite place for architectural salvage is in the bathroom ...
















Wouldn't you love to start off your day in one of these bathrooms? (Even Monday morning wouldn't seem so bad!)




Wishing you a beautiful beginning to your week ...




Need help pulling your style together?  The Green Room Interiors can make your home a beautiful place to be!  Call Kim at 423.653.3186 or email thegreenroominteriors@gmail.com.
.




14 comments:

A Flair for Vintage Decor said...

Oh, I agree!! We have a store called Preservation Station here in Nashville -- that carries these salvaged pieces!

jeanette from everton terrace said...

Love it - used it all over my last house. Not so much in my current home but now you've got me thinking...

Sally@DivineDistractions.blogspot.com said...

I just love mixing the old with the new! Here's another post that makes me wish I was in Chattanooga! We have some good salvage places here as well, but just like dinner, it's always more fun to go to someone else's house!
Have a great week, KIM!

Erika Ward said...

In love!!! This goes to show that a commitment to sustainability can include high style! great post.

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Yes, I will take one of each of those claw foot tubs and that huge round salvaged mirror. I love it.

Privet and Holly said...

GREAT inspirations, all!
This is a post for the idea files,
for sure.
And yes, to start the day in a bath like that would be DIVINE!
Happy Week!
xx Suzanne

Unknown said...

These are so gorgeous! LOVE those bathrooms! And I love the fireplace mantles, that is such a cool idea Kim! You are awesome!

Marcus Design said...

Love the idea of salvaging things!! And I die over that herringbone floor in the bathroom with the black tub!! Thanks so much for visiting my blog and leaving a comment, I really appreciate it!
Nancy

Unknown said...

Couldn't agree more! What a great way to add some charm and personality to a space. That first chandelier is so beautiful! Great post!

Diana Mieczan said...

Oh yes...I adore the old beautiful doors and floors....The bathrooms are so stunning and I would take all of them...Stunning post my lovely:)
Kisses and enjoy your day!

Karen said...

I love architectural pieces with a sense of history. There is a great salvage yard in my area, however, the prices are sky high. I still enjoy going to look.

Lilacandgrey said...

I would LOVE to have antique doors like the ones you posted!

Pemberley said...

They just don't make stuff like this anymore. So great. I'm such a history nut, I look at those doors and I think who walked through here?

AliDecor8s said...

I too love seeing a mix of old and new. It's fun to seek out old treasures and reinvent them in a way that may not have been intended for them in the first place.