Opposites Attract

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

I just saw this image over at MFAMB and could not stop looking at it. 


 This bedroom is full of contradictions yet it all works together.  Shall we analyze?
1.  The feminine settee vs. the masculine headboard
2.  All of the contrasting textures: the smooth wood floors, rough stone walls, soft fur throw and rug, dainty matelasse quilt, chalky white ceiling
3.  The light and open feel of the stripe on the settee against the dark, dense print on the tablecloth


The elements in this room seem to have little in common, yet when they're combined, well - it's magical!  I think rooms like this are the most engaging spaces, don't you?  Rather than being perfectly coordinated and "decorated", they feel collected, personal and interesting.  And isn't that what a great space is all about?


So tell me what opposites you've combined lately!


Need some help pulling your style together?  The Green Room Interiors can make your home a beautiful place to be!  Call Kimberly Lemmon at 423.653.3186 or email thegreenroominteriors@gmail.com

13 comments:

Splendid Sass said...

You are so right, Kim! It, against all odds, goes! Very cozy too.
Happy Wednesday.
Teresa
xoxo

Elizabeth said...

Inspiring design!

jeanette from everton terrace said...

I adore the wall! Can't say I'm quite as enamored with the placement of the settee but I do like it.
I had salted chocolate - does that count of combining opposites :)

Anonymous said...

your so right... it's all about the contrast.
Beautiful room!

Melissa @ Rooms said...

Yes, you are so right. I have to admit, I don't love the space, but it all does seem to work!

Taylor Greenwalt said...

The rock wall has a blue gray glow to it. Your right, I kept looking at too!. Love it....

Jessica said...

You're right, this place is full of amazing juxtapositions.

Carrie @ Hazardous Design said...

Plus it has that GIANT lamp!
I love contrasting colors. Black and white is my favorite color combination.

Linda @ theLENNOXX said...

Ohh I love contrasts! This room is gorgeous, although I'm not diggi'n the real fur (poor animals).

Greath walls and LOVE the blue stripes and the headboard, definitely not too matchy matchy =)

Have a great weekend!!

xox Linda

Cris Angsten said...

I had to stare at this room a while - I like it, but I kept wanting to pick up the settee and move it, and then I am sure I'd like it better! I think it's the height of the settee that is bothering me. I love the walls and ceiling, and the headboard mmmmm....

Amy @ Five Kinds of Happy said...

Love that big fur rug! Snuggly!

STARDUST said...

Wow! What an impressive bedroom! Really like the fur throw and the black nailed headboard! Well, I'm very glad to be here, your blog is inspiring! We'll stay in touch from now on!
Love, Olga

White furniture said...

Of course the pink and orange combination of my new bedroom!! Teamed with white it looks fabulous.