Simple Chair Makeover with Greek Key Trim

Thursday, July 12, 2012

A few weeks ago I posted here about creating a library table in my family room at Project Dollhouse.  Would you like a little progress report? 


 First of all, I had a tablecloth made from  this fabric, which is pretty much the jumping off point for the room.  It's a pretty strong print and although I love it, I decided to use it on the tablecloth and keep the upholstered pieces more neutral.  I do love my new tablecloth but I don't love the way the needlepoint seat covers on my chairs compete with the bold print.


See what I mean? It's all just too much.  I've been looking at fabric options for my chairs when I realized I already had everything I needed to make over the chairs.  I looked through my sizable fabric stash and found this neutral cotton velvet, and as luck would have it, I had enough to recover the 2 chairs.
Side note:  Although the needlepoint seats aren't working for me now, I decided to just go over them with the velvet.  The needlepoint pattern is in perfect condition and I wanted to preserve it.
Here's the finished cushion - much more neutral but kind of boring for me.  So I added some interest with this green Greek Key tape I had purchased a while back.

Just a stripe of Greek Key trim down the center of the cushion.



Much better!  Kind of a palette cleanser for the whole area.  Now, to complete this area all I need is a yellow upholstered bench

and a spotty cowhide rug
Making any progress over at your place? I'd love to hear about it!

Need some help pulling your style together?  The Green Room Interiors can make your home a beautiful place to be!  Call Kim Lemmon at 423.653.3186 or email thegreenroominteriors@gmail.com












22 comments:

Ashley said...

I'm giddy over this combo of fabrics. LOVE the fabric choice for the library table. Does this mean you have a mustard yellow velvet x-bench, Kim??!

amber wallace said...

How clever! I really love that. And never would have thought about it. Great job!

Kerry Steele- Design du Monde said...

I love it and isn't it great to have a fabric stash?

Whitney said...

If you are looking for an ottoman like that, we carry this one. You can put it in whatever fabric you like, and we have some really pretty yellow velvets too!

http://www.leeindustries.com/productdetail.asp?id=184035119042066

Let us know if we can help!
Whitney

My Interior Life said...

Love me some Greek Key and that's the perfect little update to this chair. It looks so fresh and so clean! Great job!

Unknown said...

You can never go wrong with a little Greek Key... love the changes! Not too many changes going on at my house ... well except for a much need new gate - exciting only to me!

Interior Design Musings said...

Kim,
I totally love the fabric and trim on that chair! Makes me want to redo mine!!! Hmmm, may have to put it on my list, friend! M.

birdsofafeatherdesign.com said...

you had me at greek key! Love the fabric and yes... yellow bench would be fab!!! I love the dollhouse glimpses! ...-Ann

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

I love that simple details to make the seat cushion interesting and custom looking. The neutral color looks great next to your beautiful new tablecloth!

Elizabeth @ The Little Black Door said...

What a great idea. You are so resourceful, I love it!

Brandy@MAKE+MODEL said...

Lovin the Greek Key!

Carrie @ Hazardous Design said...

How lovely the recovered chairs look with your new tablecloth, and the trim is perfection!

SHERRY HART said...

Yes...loved how you did that chair seat.....looks great with the tablecloth fabric!!!

Haus and Home said...

I love the green key going down the middle! Nice touch!

Junell said...

Work it! WTG. Greek Key was a swell idea. Had 12 chairs with needlepoint covers & made them into pillows & sold 10 on Etsy & kept 2.

Beth of designPOST Interiors said...

Such a great quick transformation! I want to use Greek key trim somewhere in my house pronto! I did a little DIY this weekend myself...


http://www.designpostdaily.com/2012/07/faux-tribalmoroccan-tile.html

Splendid Sass said...

LOVE IT, Kim! What a great idea. I also like that you are covering over the needlepoint.
As always, your work is impeccable!
Happy Monday.
Teresa
xoxo

Matters of Style said...

Love!!!

Cris Angsten said...

I was wondering where you would use that fabulous Greek Key trim! Love it.

Taylor Greenwalt said...

What a smart idea. Love the ottoman also.

Brooke @ Inside-Out Design said...

The chair looks great!! I love the pretty trim!

casey at loft and cottage said...

Lovely! The trim down the center is so great.