3 Favorite Details You Can Do Yourself

Sunday, September 9, 2012

I love how the simplest details can have such a profound impact in design.  And the good news is there are some easy details you can add to ready-made pieces yourself to get a custom look!  Have you tried any of these?

1.  Adding new hardware to a piece of furniture (or your cabinets)






I love the shape of the pulls above and the added detail of the gold rim on the inside of the cabinet trim.  

2.  Painting or wallpapering the backs of bookcases.

Did you see Danika's marble paper bookcases  over at Gorgeous Shiny Things? If you love marbelized paper (and I do), you'll want to head over there and check it out.









That is such a lovely shade of blue, and did you notice the brass book lighting above?  Another great detail that's easy to do yourself.

3.  Okay, everyone should do this one.  Adding some trim to ready-made curtains.  There are so many amazing choices out there!



Look what the Greek Key trim does to simple linen curtains.  There are no sewing skills required, as you can adhere it with fabric glue.




On the far right side of the image above, I love the two different trims applied to the edge of these curtains.  That pleated ruffle trim is available here in loads of colors. 


More decorative trim added to simple curtains, this time in a sophisticated black & white.

Easy!  Impactful!  Do you have any favorite DIY details to add to my list?

Need some help pulling your style together?  The Green Room Interiors can make your home a beautiful place to be! Call Kim Lemmon at 423.653.3186 or email thegreenroominteriors@gmail.com.


13 comments:

Splendid Sass said...

I'm with you, Kim! Hardware and trim are the way to change it up in a great way. I love the marbleized paper,and it is such a great and economical way to use on shelves and trays, etc.
Happy Monday.
Teresa
xoxo

Ashley said...

Totally agree! I think I've tried ALL of these in my home--and as an avid sewer, I love adding new trim to anything ready-made (pillows, window treatments, lampshades, etc.). What a special touch it adds.

Carol@6WilsonBlog.com said...

Great post. I love anything with trim. Details are everything. That bathroom with the wallpaper and gold oval mirror is killing me, I keep going back to it. Love it.

Kerry Steele- Design du Monde said...

Great post. I have yet to paint or paper backs of shelves. I added Greek key trim to ready-mades to quell my guilt in not making them myself.I love the hardware you have shown.

designchic said...

It is definitely all in the detail and love your reminders. The knobs are an amazing detail and love when the back of bookcases are painted!!

Taylor Greenwalt said...

Great post! Your so right, all of these add so much impact. Its like the icing on the cake.

Unknown said...

These ideas are fantastic!! #2 is a DIY that is on my mind for days... I just need to find time.

faye said...

if you know where to look then you can really find some beautiful ready made curtains=)

Carol@TheDesignPages said...

Totally agree with all your ideas Kim!! I love the trim on a plain curtain. It just elevates it so much.

Brandi@ Flights of Whimsy said...

I have papered the backs of so many things in my house! Spray adhesive is my friend. Another DIY I like is framing simple things like fancy papers etc in DIY matting. Easy and cheap!

casey at loft and cottage said...

Love ALL these ideas--they remind me that every DIY need not be hard/time-consuming! I still want to trim out my white LR curtains. Thanks for the inspiration!

Albertina || MimosaLane said...

These are great ideas....I have done all of them and think they make the biggest difference in the world!

Carrie @ Hazardous Design said...

Great ideas. Sometimes I underestimate the impact of a simple detail.