Top 5 Items for Styling (that you already have)

Sunday, January 26, 2014

And so yet another week of way way way below normal temps are expected around here for the majority of this week.  And that means lots of time spent indoors. And that means lots of opportunity to really study your decor and maybe start to think you want to change things up a bit.  This happens to you, I'm sure!  And maybe you don't want to go out and buy a bunch of new stuff to get a new look at home.  Not to worry!  Here are my top 5 items that you already own that you can use to freshen up your place.

1. Bottles.  I love to decorate with bottles.  See photo of my kitchen below.

Would you believe there are 4 bottles in just this photo?  Limoncello bottle on bottom shelf, small blue bottle on middle shelf, blue wine bottle on windowsill, and wine bottle behind fruit on countertop. More bottles have been added since this photo too.

Wine bottles also make good vases

and candleholders


2.  Books.  We all have them.  They're great for adding texture and for propping things upon.

In my kitchen I used a small collection of cookbooks to style my kitchen counter (and more bottles if you look to the far left in this photo).


In the photo above, I used books to add some height and texture to my bust planter.


And I used a collection of books to style my skirted table.

3.  Candlesticks.  I like a mismatched set placed in front of a mirror for maximum impact.

Image above from Pinterest

4.  Bowls.  Of something.  It helps if its a cute bowl and you put something cool in it.

Image from Pinterest

Like a bowl of photographs or a big bowl of sea shells.

5.  Mirrors.  I love them and I'm always looking for ways to work in another mirror.  Layering is the answer.  Behold.




3 images above found on Pinterest

And there you have it!  What's your go-to styling item that you like to use?

The Green Room Interiors provides Interior Decorating and Design Services to happy homeowners in Chattanooga, TN.  If you'd like to experience the joy of living in a well designed home, contact Kim Lemmon at 423.653.3186 or email thegreenroominteriors@gmail.com

Follow!     Instagram   Pinterest  Facebook



17 comments:

Tiffany Leigh said...

Love all of these tips Kim! Trays are another great tool!

Ashley said...

I'm going to have to read through this post 2 or 3 more times to fully "get" all the tips in it. I love each and every image you shared...especially those in your own house. I still ABSOLUTELY love that lemon fabric!

I definitely style with books--but only if they are sentimental or meaningful for me. Artists that I love or really admire.

With these ideas, I'll definitely be spending some time moving details around in my house when it's too cold to go out!

Patty Day @Pattys Epiphanies said...

I agree! Most, if not all of us, have tons of stuff! There is no reason to buy more. Just take out things you have put away and they are NEW again! So many different ways to use the items you showed.

pam {simple details} said...

Trays!! They make everything look better, that's my excuse for my addiction!

Unknown said...

Im with you Kim, I love mirrors, books, vases and twigs, fruit, and an unpredictable object in every vignette. Hope you have a great week. xoNancy

Elizabeth @ The Little Black Door said...

These are good tips that will come in handy for me today as I walk around stir crazy from the cold weather outside and desperate to change something...anything. :)

Erika Lee @ A Tiny Rocket said...

great tips! and love that beautiful green wall paper in the first photo.

Heather@Tatter and Fray said...

Books are one of my faves, too. They're usually overflowing from my bookshelves, so I end up piling them everywhere. Sometimes they end up looking styled that way by accident! I love seeing your kitchen again; it's still a fave of mine.

Kim said...

I have to find a place for layered mirrors. Everyone of our mantels has a tv over it. Seriously, I would like to scream!!! Love these tips!! xo

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

Definitely books and flowers. I struggle with the other bits. Oh, sometimes I like to put my dog in the shot.

StagerLinda said...

Great tips! I love books, candlesticks and mirrors. I've never thought to use bottles!~ A boy-o-boy can I find some empty wine bottles. Great idea...

Ashley @ The Honest Room said...

Mirrors are the best. I love how much light they can add to a room. Thanks for the tips. BTW, your kitchen is beautiful!

Holly Gruszka said...

I'm low on candlesticks - I'll have to keep my eye out for a few in various heights. Great tips!!

Mary Ann Pickett said...

Love the bottle idea. I use books, fruit, candles s lot.
I used to have a bowl with photos...I'm going to do that again. Great post.

stephanie at Stephanie Kraus Designs said...

I too like books for styling and to add a pop of color with them. Also I like to add strange sculptural elements that I can find at tj maxx or home goods!!

House of Pemberley said...

I'm not gonna lie...I was in Target yesterday shopping for things to style my kitchen counters. And whose kitchen did I look at? Yours, of course. And I realized that I have everything I needed. So I left Target empty handed. (I think I should get a medal for that one!). Love all your tips. :)

Vel Criste said...

I use the books, bowls, mirrors and books a lot too, but another thing you might want to add are plants or flowers of any sort! I love seeing some green or doses of white or pink all around the room. I never tried the bottles before, but now you have me thinking! Wonderful ideas Kim!