Low Cost and Easy Thanksgiving Table Ideas

Monday, January 6, 2014

Even though Thanksgiving is late this year, it seems to me like it came pretty quickly. I'm not hosting our family dinner, but I plan to go to my parents house a few days early to help with preparations and to set the table for our Thanksgiving celebration.  And I'll let you in on a little secret.  I'm not a big holiday decorator. I usually put a few holiday touches in each room, but I don't go to too much trouble.  It has to be easy and it has to be practically free.

Extra points if you can name any of the plant material in the arrangement below. Those big green things that looks like brains are the fruit of an Osage Orange tree.  We used to have one in our back yard and every year it dropped tons of these big green fruits. They provide great color and texture.  The small red berries look like Nandina berries, and we have one of those growing wild in the woods behind my house. Throw them in a big white bowl with pine cones sprinkled on top for a colorful, natural centerpiece.


There is beauty in simplicity.  Behold.


All you would have to do to create the tablescape below is take a walk around your property with some scissors.. And please take note of the simple glass jar as vase.  


I love this idea.  Upside down wine glasses become a fun group of candle holders.  So smart.

It's a Southern thing, ya'all.  Magnolia leaves as chargers.

1. Partially fill a simple glass vessel with water. 2.  Put some fruit in it.  3.  Add a floating candle on top.  4.  Put it on a tray with found sprigs.  Done.  I really have done this one before and it looks great!

And finally, winter fruit in blue and white containers. That's what I'm talking about. 


This is just the beginning. I'm sure you smartypants have some cheap and easy Thanksgiving table ideas.  Share it with me in the comments!

The Green Room Interiors provides Interior Decorating and Design Services to happy homeowners in Chattanooga, TN.  If you'd like to discover the joy of living in a well designed home, contact Kim Lemmon at 423.653.3186 or email thegreenroominteriors@gmail.com



9 comments:

Ashley said...

Great recommendations. I always associate clementines with the season for two reason--their color is autumnal, but they are also a good, refreshing snack before or after the big Thanksgiving meal!

Vel Criste said...

I think your all set Kim! These inspirations are fantastic and your natural centerpiece is not only pretty but unique, never saw oranges like those before!

I'm your opposite when it comes to Holiday decorating as you can probably tell, a bit over board, but I do love all these natural decor and hopefully I can do something similar for my table this year! Hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving dear!

Teresa Hatfield ~ Splendid Sass said...

Kim-
The first image reminds me so much of my childhood. We had a tree up the street with the big mock oranges as we called them, lol. And the berries are those we had in our yard.
Beautiful choices.
Have a Happy Thanksgiving.
Teresa
xoxo

Kim said...

I so miss magnolias ... there are a few around here ... but I don't have any close to help me with my decorating!! Happy Thanksgiving!! xo

Taylor Greenwalt said...

Great ideas...hope you had a wonderful day!

Heather@Tatter and Fray said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who really doesn't go gung-ho with the holiday decorating. I'll admit that it's pure laziness, but I just don't get that into it. Love all the pretty table arrangements, though!

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

I think the oranges in the bowl are perfect. Hope you had a lovely Thanksgiving.

Andrea said...

These are all fabulous ideas! I hope you and your family had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

XOXO,
The Glam Pad

Brandi said...

Thanks so much for sharing my image! Would you mind linking back to me?! Did you know you can order the hedge apples online? We don't have them in my area so I bought them from a seller on Ebay!!

http://bet1975.blogspot.com/2012/11/natural-thanksgiving-centerpieces.html