Upper Kitchen Cabinets - Level or Varied Height

Sunday, April 12, 2015

Hello!  My name is Kim and I still blog here - just not as frequently as I used to.

I have a question for you.  Do you like the look of upper kitchen cabinets at varying heights, or do you like them placed all on the same level?

It turns out I didn't really have an opinion on this until I was randomly perusing Pinterest for some kitchen inspiration. And then I began to take notice.

Obviously the kitchen above is in a transitional state but I find the varying heights of the upper cabinets a little unsettling.


This one doesn't seem quite as busy, perhaps because the wall and cabinet colors are so similar.

This is an adorable little  kitchen, but I can't help but think I'd love it a little more if all of the upper cabinets were placed on the same level. Also, I didn't realize that I disliked those angled corner cabinets until this whole thing came about.

Whew!  This is so much better (to me).  I love the uniformity and how the trim above the cabinets ties into the crown molding.  This is a great way to make your cabinets (and your entire kitchen) look more expensive.

PS   The lighting!


Funny how I didn't even know this was a thing until I started looking.

I realize this is just a matter of opinion, and there is really no wrong or right, but I'd love to know where you stand on the placement of upper kitchen cabinets.

Thanks for visiting today!  Remember, when I'm not on the blog I'm posting away on Instagram.  You can also follow me on Facebook and Pinterest!

If you live in the Chattanooga, TN area and you'd like to learn more about the Interior Decorating and Design services I offer, please visit my website.





6 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Kim -happy spring! I like uniformity but since one can't always work with that I love using trim to the ceiling to unify it all!!I need to learn to do trim- I want to use huge layers everywhere . Have a great week. Xo Nancy

Raina Cox said...

The first three look like a slapdash low-end builder. The rest look like they're in a high-end custom home. And there are better solutions than those bulky hulking corner cabinets.

Erin @ The Impatient Gardener said...

I really detest cabinets at different heights. To me it feels like one of those things people to do "make their kitchen different." As far as I'm concerned, cabinets should always go the ceiling, unless you live in a loft or something and have impossibly high ceilings. Also, I detest angled corner cabinets and was so happy when we ripped ours out. I'll happily lose a tiny bit of storage in order to have a 90-degree corner there.

Taylor Greenwalt said...

I like uniformity..If I had the cabinets at different heights I would paint the walls and the cabinets all the same color. Hoping they wouldn't show up as much.

Teresa Hatfield ~ Splendid Sass said...

Kim-
I agree with you on the heights. That just doesn't get it. Period.
I am dying over the last kitchen! Seriously gorgeous!
Teresa
xoxo

Vel Criste said...

You know I'm a 'level'headed' kinda gal Kim, so I seriously went straight to the ceiling with my kitchen cabinets and I wouldn't have it any other way. :-)