One Room Challenge Week 4 - A Little More Progress

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Welcome to this week's installment of the One Room Challenge.  In case you're not familiar, this is the event created by Linda from Calling It Home where participants make over the room of their choice in six weeks sharing their progress once a week along the way. I have been linking up with the makeover of my hall bathroom.  Week 4 is always tough,  and I feel like I haven't completed nearly as much as I had hoped to at this point.  

Remember last week when I shared that I was planning to do a wall of antiqued mirror tiles behind my vanity?  The good news is I got all of the mirrors successfully antiqued and I'm  pretty happy with how they turned out.



The not so good news is that we haven't had a chance to install the tiles on the wall yet.  :-( .

In other news, the wall repair has been a huge undertaking.  There has been sanding and more sanding followed up by more sanding. And you know how awful that superfine sheet rock dust is. My husband came out of the bathroom on Sunday looking like a powdered donut.


Here's something positive. The box molding has been added to the lower third of the walls (Yay)


and I'm thinking that rather than painting it out white, I'm may just paint  the wainscoting a shade of blue that's slightly darker than the blue in the wallpaper.


Benjamin Moore Buxton Blue in particular.  What do you think about that idea?  Do you like the idea of painting the wainscoting blue or would you paint it white?

I'm also struggling with whether to go with a vessel sink or a drop-in sink for my antique piece turned bathroom vanity.  Originally I had planned go with a drop-in sink but after consulting with Professor Pinterest, I think the vessel sinks look so much better in this situation. Look:


Don't you agree?  I think the vessel sink looks so much better.  

This is all of the progress I have to share with you today.  Things should really start to come together next week (really!) as the mirror wall will be installed, the rest of the trim will be installed and painted, and I'm hoping to get the paper up and the vanity placed. It's an ambitious list.

Say a quick prayer for me and be sure to tune in next Thursday.  To find the links to all of the other participants, click  here and  here .






26 comments:

Dianne said...

White paint ...not a contrast is my vote. :)

Vanessa@Decor Happy said...

Your antique mirror turned out great. Would love to hear your process. I think I would paint the wainscoting white and I like a drop in sink over a vessel - but that's just me. Whatever you choose will be fab!

alison giese Interiors said...

Yes, yes, yes - paint the moulding the complimentary blue color! It's going to look SO great!

Taylor Greenwalt said...

I love the blue and white design..its going to look so fresh and pretty... I would paint the wainscoting white.
I cant wait to see it finished...

Abby said...

It all looks great! I love the wallpaper. Since it is a guest bath, it might not matter as much, but I hate vessel sinks. I think they are such a pain to use. Just my two cents. I love all your ideas.

mrs. V | Chez V said...

I love the idea of blue on the wainscoting and I trust Prof. Pinterest. Vessel will serve to accentuate the piece, although my first instinct would have been a drop-in too.

Unknown said...

I vote drop in for sure...I just don't like vessels in any circumstance. And I also would go for white on the wainscotting- just fresher for a bathroom I think. That antique piece is going to make such a stunning vanity!

Carol@6WilsonBlog.com said...

I'm so in love with that wallpapaer!!!!! I think the blue on the bottom is a lovely unexpected choice. On the vessel, I always think that once they get a chip, they're done (my insanely practical side comes out on that).

Vel Criste said...

I missed so much with you Kim, but glad I saw this, good luck with the ORC, I'm sure, as always, your room will be fabulous! Love the idea of vessel sink on top of an old vanity too!

My Notting Hill said...

I say go for the blue in a semi-gloss. Won't it make the walls taller as well as very chic looking? I'm a fan of the semi-recessed as opposed to the vessel. I installed one (haven't posted the updated pic yet) and really like it .http://mynottinghill.blogspot.com/2014/01/semi-recessed-sinks-my-bath-reno.html

Sam | Away She Went said...

I would paint the wainscoting white, but I paint everything white, so I might be a bit biased. I can't wait to see the reveal in a couple weeks. I know it's going to be amazing!

SHERRY HART said...

I like the blue idea maybe in a gloss....and drop in sink.....you are going to be so darn confused now!

aquahaus said...

Wow. The mirrors looks amazing. I cannot believe them!! I love the molding too. I like white trim.

Price Style & Design said...

You are seriously so amazingly talented! I love how this is coming together!

Tiffany said...

I know whatever you go with will be stunning. I like the vessel in the picture but I think I like a drop in for your piece better. As for the blue I really like white but I think I just can't visualize it. Then again, What do I know. I defer to all of you pros.

pam {simple details} said...

I've been there with that sanding...ugh! I vote blue, and I wouldn't do a vessel sink for me, but dang that pic is pretty!

Elizabeth @ The Little Black Door said...

I like the idea of using a shade darker than the wallpaper. I say go with it!

Albertina M. Cisneros said...

the paneling is beautiful! I vote for drop in sink. We had vessels before and I thought they were kind of a nightmare. I'm undecided about painting the trim blue or white....I don't think you can go wrong. Can't wait to see what you decide!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kim! Love, love, love the look of a vessel sink + antique cabinet but everyone I know that has a vessel sink has had second thoughts due to the added hassle of cleaning around said sink. Given the complaints I've heard if vessel is what you decide, make sure you do a simulation test re: cleaning ... can you easily get to the stuff that would accumulate around the base of the bowl, etc. I'm torn about the blue because it reminds me a lot of what was popular in the 80's around here, the Williamsburg look, but I know you'll rock it whatever you decide. Robin

LMoore said...

I think which sink you use depends on the height of your dresser that you plan to use and the height of the vessel sink also. You do not want to end up with a sink at chest height. If your dresser is low use a vessel and if it around 36" use a drop in.

Carrie said...

Wow, can't wait to see the antiqued mirror tiles! My vote is for the blue on the wainscoting and vessel sink for the vanity. Can't wait to see what you do. It's going to be so fabulous!

kate@willowinteriors said...

Love Buxton Blue and think it would look fabulous with the wallpaper! And I vote for a drop-in sink...I've read and heard bad reviews of vessels being annoying with clean-up and splash factor...but they look cool. :) Can't wait to hear more abt antiquing mirrors! Glad to see someone is getting shiz done...me I'm just reading about others. ;)

Unknown said...

I love your progress Kim. I say paint the box moulding and lower third crisp semi gloss white. I am wild about that wallpaper. Good luck with the sink decision. I don't usually like vessel sinks but I have seen some gorgeous ones, and that pinterest shot is spectacular! good luck friend! xo Nancy

Karena said...

Kim I can just picture how amazing it is going to be! Love the vessel sink choice.

xoxo,
Karena
The Arts by Karena

Unknown said...

I vote for white! I can't wait to see this all come together!! It's going to be so fab :)

Elizabeth@ Pine Cones and Acorns said...

It looks fabulous so far! I cannot wait to see the finished product.