One Room Challenge - the Befores/Challenges/Direction

Tuesday, February 5, 2013


That's a long title for a post, isn't it?  Anyway, let's get the "befores" out of the way.  They're completely underwhelming but hopefully when I finish up and the room is complete it will make the "afters" more dramatic.

The challenges are many.

1. As you can see, it starts with an empty canvas.  And  I mean really empty, because there's nothing of architectural interest in the room.  No beautiful moldings, no book cases - not even a fireplace.  And yes, that's circa 1972 faux wood paneling that's been painted a lovely shade of peanut butter.

2. The room is shaped like a bowling alley.  It's twice as long as it is wide.  Now factor in this: the entire north side of the room can't be utilized (for furniture)  because it serves as a walkway that connects the kitchen to the foyer.  Also, my basement door is along said north wall. That means I have about 10' of usable width to place furniture.

You're getting the bowling alley effect now, right?  This  shot was taken at the opposite end of the room, showing the entrance to the kitchen and the inherited light fixtures.  Pretty!

I could go on but I think you get the scope of the task at hand. Now for the inspiration:


I want the room to feel fresh and mostly classic.

and even a little sophisticated

with lots of black & white (+ gold) - so it's a little mod, too!

And I love to build a room around a beautiful fabric.  Here's where I'm starting. This is Greef/Schumacher's "Lemon Tree", which I discovered at a small fabric store near my mom's house in Atlanta.  I had never seen it before and haven't seen it since - but I'm so happy we found each other. 

I'm dying to see what everyone else is doing, aren't you? Here are the links - be on your way!









32 comments:

Julia Ryan said...

Yay! Loving all that emerald green!

Kim said...

I have had that "dining room" on my desktop for months ... something sooo beautiful about it!! You go girl!! xo

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

That really is a long room. I have never hear of a color referred to as "peanut butter". I love that fabric score, great colors and inspiration pics.

Kerry Steele- Design du Monde said...

Love the fabric. I am excited for you!

Beth Connolly said...

Love your color scheme. Can't wait to see how it comes together.

Unknown said...

Love the inspiration fabric and can't wait to see where you go with this Kim!!!

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

Totally loving the direction you're going with this, Kim! Those walls in your inspiration picture….please tell me you're doing that!!! How fun to witness…look forward to following along!

Unknown said...

Kim, I am so in love with that fabric! What a key to it all. It's great to have a blank canvas! Best of luck sweetie and looking forward to cheering you on.
xo Nancy
Powellbrower.com

Barbara Matson said...

I love that fabric! I love it when I come across a fabulous fabric that just speaks to me too. Can't wait to follow along!

pam {simple details} said...

What a find, that fabric is a gorgeous inspiration piece! You have me so curious if we'll be seeing green walls next week!?!

Andrea said...

Oh, my goodness! That Schumacher "Lemon Tree" is positively divine!! I cannot wait to see your room!

XOXO,
The Glam Pad

My Interior Life said...

Ha, ha. I used to have peanut butter paint all over my downstairs. Now it's a much more subtle frothy latte color. Your room really puts the "challenge" in the ORC. I have a bowling alley room in my basement too so I feel your pain. I adore that fabric and all your inspirations so I have no doubt it will look insanely beautiful when you're done. Cannot wait to see the changes!!

The Pink Pagoda said...

I know you're up to the challenge! This fabric is beautiful. I love the adjectives you're using to describe the room you want and can't wait to see how it all comes together!

Taylor Greenwalt said...

I love the Lemon Tree fabric...it is gorgeous! Good luck with the one room challenge.

Fran said...

Love that fabric - so fresh and sophisticated!! I feel your pain with long & narrow - this is my current living room and it has me in a stupor. Are these pics of your living room? Can't wait to see what you do!!

Kathleen said...

LOVE all of the colors in the fabric! Can't wait to see how you plan the space. Kathleen

René said...

Lovely fabric choice! Will take careful notes on how you utilize the space. Looking forward to it!

LindsB said...

Love that fabric, what a beautiful inspiration piece! Cant wait to see what you do with the space!!

Tiffany said...

Ugh, I have a room that shape also. Love that fabric. Very exciting!

Nicole Scott said...

Akkkk you're going to make lemonade! It's a sign you see...your room is going to be so fabulous!! So happy to be following your progress!

Mary Ann Pickett said...

That fabric took my breath away! This is going to be gorgeous....and it really is a challenge with the room shape.

Elizabeth @ The Little Black Door said...

That fabric is just fab! This is gonna be great!

Erin said...

I have a bowling alley living room with doors and walkways everywhere... nightmare city. Can't wait to see how you floorplan this.

LOVE the fabric!

Kathysue said...

Kim, I am loving this challenge and your fabric is a beautiful jumping off point!! I will be following along with your process!! Looking forward to see your magic take place,
Kathysue

Brandy@MAKE+MODEL said...

Oh my gosh! I can't wait to see the finished product. It may require a visit to Chattanooga!! - Brandy

SHERRY HART said...

Oh Lord...I love that fabric! I know Schumacher pretty well and I am not familiar pattern...maybe vintage? I think a room built around it will be fab!

Mallory | Confetti and Stripes said...

Black, white, and gold is my favorite combination! I can't wait to see what all you do! I actually did a post about it if you want to check it out for any inspiration...

http://www.confettiandstripesblog.com/2012/12/black-white-gold.html

Lauren (The Cottage Mix) said...

Such a pretty fabric. I've never seen it before! Can't wait to see it all come together. Best, Lauren

Naomi@DesignManifest said...

ooo LOVE that fabric, Kim!! Definitely saving that one for the files.

Mimi said...

Can'twait to see what happen. Love your choices.

Holly Gruszka said...

Really love your inspiration fabric and looking forward to seeing your room evolve.

Jessie said...

Lovely fabric, what a great starting point!

Jessie
www.mixandchic.com