104 Ravioli

Monday, December 12, 2011

Did you have a good weekend?  I went to my parents house in Atlanta this weekend to partake in the annual making of the Christmas ravioli.  I'm half Italian on my mother's side (her folks moved to America from Sicily right after they were married!)  Every year we make homemade ravioli to enjoy for Christmas dinner and it's quite a delicious and fun event.


We start by making our own dough.  There are about 5 different versions of the dough recipe, and this year we used some semolina flour.


My brother Greg, who inherited my Mom's "great cook" gene, is mixing the dough.  Then it is left to rest, kneaded, and rolled out on the pasta machine



The pasta sheets are then topped with this filling of meat, garlic, cheeses and a few ingredients I am not at liberty to reveal.  It's a closely guarded family recipe.  In fact, when my brother broke up with a girlfriend many years ago, the first thing my mom asked was, "Does she know the ravioli recipe?"  Luckily for her, she didn't.

 World's best mom working on a row of the world's best ravioli.

World's best ravioli all cut and sealed.

All ready to go to the freezer where they will wait for Christmas Day.

Now all we had to do was repeat 104 times and we've got enough ravioli to feed about a dozen ravioli-loving relatives.

Too bad we our computers don't have smell-o-vision.

What are your favorite holiday traditions?

Need some help pulling your style together?  The Green Room Interiors can make your home a beautiful place to be!  Call Kim Lemmon at 423.653.3186 or email thegreenroominteriors@gmail.com





14 comments:

Teresa Hatfield ~ Splendid Sass said...

Oh Kim-
This is such a wonderful story, and the ravioli looks amazing.
My specialties are ham empanadas and homemade eggnog!
Teresa
xoxo

A Flair for Vintage Decor said...

Yummy!!! Take care, Caroline

amber wallace said...

Those look amazing! Every Christmas eve my grandpa makes clam chowder and chili. And every Christmas morning I make apple cider cake donuts. Cannot wait!

Audrey Sandels said...

They look delicious! Can't wait!

-Ravioli-loving Relative

Sharon@house58blog.com said...

I love great food. Made with love is even better. How fun!

Dayka Robinson said...

Aw, you were here? Would've loved to meet at Starbucks or something! I love that your mom wanted to know if the Ex knew the ravioli recipe--that's gotta be some good stuff there. Might need you to save me a pan.... :)

kayce hughes said...

what a wonderful tradition! and delicious I am sure.

design elements said...

looks yummy. love Italian food

Kerry Steele- Design du Monde said...

Ok, my tummy just growled and I'm a little jealous. My former in-laws have the same tradition but that part about being former means I'm not invited. :(
Maybe I'll make my own.

Jessica said...

LMAO: "Does she know the ravioli recipe?"
Looks delish! Ok, think its lunch time now...
xoxox

Town and Country Gals said...

Kim,
how fun! Looks yummy, I'm hungry!
Spending time with family and doing "family" things is so special!
Hope you're having a wonderful holiday season.
Merry Christmas!
Rebecca

casey at loft and cottage said...

They sound delicious, Kim, and I can't imagine how great they taste! P.S. Absolutely love your mom's comment about the ex knowing the recipe. So funny!

Carrie @ Hazardous Design said...

So cool. What a fun tradition to have as a family.

Jenny Castle Design said...

Yum! It's breakast time and I'm ready for ravioli - what a fun, delicious tradition! My mom and I always bake ginger bread cookies together. A labor of love, but they are so cute and it's always memorable. Love holiday traditions!