Reader Question: How Do I Define My Own Style?

Monday, March 29, 2010

"Don't let a fear of being tacky render you tasteless." - Celerie Kemble


I got this email last week from Lisa in Soddy Daisy:  I am a newlywed and new homeowner and I am so excited about decorating my new place but my husband and I don't have a lot of money to put into decorating.  I am wanting some ideas on how to start decorating my home since I don't really have a style - I really don't know where to start.  Help!

Lisa,

Decorating your home can seem like an overwhelming challenge when you are starting from scratch.The best advice I can give you is to take your time!  The very best rooms are those that evolve over time.  Anyone can go out and buy a living room "suite" but what you will end up with is a room of coordinating pieces that lacks any charm or personality.  Take a look at these photos that feature matching furniture sets.


Matching furniture sets that have no personal style.


And now compare to these rooms that have a more collected, personal point of view.:


This room features a mix of furniture styles in both painted and wood finishes


Another room of non-matching furniture styles pulled together by color and personal collections


Harmony is found in this room through the strong blue walls and accessories and the mostly neutral furnishings (non of which "match")


A close up of diverse yet personal items displayed on a mantel


Rather than color, this room uses flea market finds and collections of framed art and books to make a statement


Collections of books, a white slipcovered sofa and a striped rug give this room a beachy, collected feel.


  So, Lisa, I would encourage you to take your time  and only buy things that "speak to you".  If you love it and it looks good, it is good!

3 comments:

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

I totally agree about building a room over time. I have of course changed my rooms many times, but I do remember being young and not having much. Now I am enjoying decorating my home the way I want it. Thanks so much for stopping by.

Kim

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

By the way we go through Chattanooga when we go visit our son in Nashville.

Kathysue said...

Very good advice Kim. It should be an evolution or process not a room stamped out of a showroom or magazine, You gave your reader some very good guidelines, Bravo!! Kathysue