Client Project Reveal - Classic Blue and White Dining Room and Powder Room Refresh

Saturday, February 28, 2015

What an exciting day!  I have a recently completed project to share with you, and this dining room is one of my favorite projects to date.  If you're visiting today from The Pink Pagoda, surely you're a fan of classic blue and white interiors. I'm so glad you stopped by and thank you Jennifer for featuring my work!

First, I want to share a little background info.  We've taken the slow, steady approach to decorating this home.  It's a big brick Georgian style home - very traditional - which suits my clients' aesthetic.  They love classic design elements and the husband has a keen eye for antiques.  One of the concerns and challenges we addressed was their desire to keep their home from feeling too formal. They're a young family and they wanted their home to have a relaxed, fresh feel.

Here's the inspiration photo.  The only inspiration photo. The wife knew exactly what she wanted.

 
No argument from me..This is gorgeous!

When the project began, I had this antique china cabinet and their dining table to work with. Here's a "before", as a reference point.


And now:


Blue and White Bliss.


My clients loved the Farrow & Ball Lotus wallpaper but were hesitant to wallpaper the entire room.

So I had the walls painted (Benjamin Moore's Niveous), which is the same color we used in their entry  - it's a pretty, ivory white.

And then I had the walls professionally stenciled with this pattern.  The blue we used for the stencil design is Benjamin Moore Palladian Blue.  If you look in the top right corner of the photo above, you can catch a glimpse of  Palladian Blue on the ceiling. 

The antique sideboard is a Scott's Antique Market find, as is the Persian rug.  My workroom made the sheer linen shades and I sourced the Italian silver candelabra, lamps and other accessories for them.


The husband found the chairs at auction (10 of them!) and, after some debate, I had them lacquered with Benjamin Moore White Dove and had the seats recovered with blue faux ostrich.  The fabric choice was met with a little hesitation, but with 4 small children it's a practical choice that they should enjoy for years to come. The ironstone pots and pitchers and the silver tray they're sitting on are family pieces.  I love their simplicity and pretty form.



We also recently refreshed their powder room off of the foyer.  My client loves blue and white, so again we went with this classic color combination - but in a modern context.



In this room we added a chair rail with box molding below and a fun blue and white geometric print wallpaper. They opted to keep the white pedestal sink and brass fixtures. 



There was just enough room behind the door to add this lucite console and a few baskets under it for easily accessible storage.  I think every room needs something natural so the baskets and the framed pebbles add some soft, organic texture.  I love the juxtaposition of the natural elements against the modern print of the wallpaper.  Do you agree that contrast creates interest?

Once again, I thank you for stopping by to have a look at this fun project.  And thank you to Jennifer at The Pink Pagoda for featuring the dining room on her blog.  Have you visited her online shop?  Lots of opportunities to add some classic blue and white!

Have a great week!

If you live in the Chattanooga, TN area and are looking for an Interior Decorator, please visit my website to learn more about the services I offer and to see my recently completed design work.

When my schedule won't allow me to post to my blog, you can find me on InstagramFacebook, and Pinterest. Follow along!










16 comments:

Fran said...

Beautiful Kim!! I love everything and those italian candlebras are gorgeous!! Great job!

Unknown said...

LOVE! You added a breath of fresh air into a space full of traditional and formal pieces. I am sure your clients are thrilled to get the look they love, great job!

pam {simple details} said...

Kim, this is SO fabulous!! They must be beside themselves with the beautiful, one-of-a-kind rooms you created for them!!

Taylor Greenwalt said...

It looks amazing...great job!

Teresa Hatfield ~ Splendid Sass said...

Absolutely stunning, but not surprised. You are the best!
I am dying over the powder room too!
Teresa
xoxo

Raina Cox said...

That dining room is the stuff of dreams! Your clients must be tickled pink - or blue. ;-)

mrs. V | Chez V said...

Awesome!!!!

Scribbler said...

I found you from ORP -- and this design is gorgeous!

Unknown said...

Fantastic job Kim- Im so envious of that gorgeous rug you found at Scott's - I need that NOW! Beautiful pieces and love the stenciling. xo Nancy

Mary Ann Pickett said...

How gorgeous. Great job!!!

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

I love your dining room design. That powder room is so dreamy! Fun.

Anonymous said...

So beautiful! Where did you have the chairs lacquered? I'm in chattanooga too and have been wanting to get my chairs done.

Kim said...

Beautifully done!! I love it!

SHERRY HART said...

Beautiful Kim....love when you can bring such a pretty inspirational image to life! Great job!

Holly Gruszka said...

This is beautiful Kim! I love the stencil and window treatments. And the bathroom looks fantastic. And yes I agree that contrast is key for lots of interest. It's great a great feeling to be able to showcase a project - great work!

Holly Gruszka said...

This is beautiful Kim! I love the stencil and window treatments. And the bathroom looks fantastic. And yes I agree that contrast is key for lots of interest. It's great a great feeling to be able to showcase a project - great work!