What I Love about Nick Olsen's Spread in Veranda

Sunday, June 24, 2012

Were you as captivated as I was by Nick Olsen's work in the latest issue of Veranda?  There's something about his aesthetic  that's complex, and yet, so effortless.  Nick has a voice and he's not afraid to see his vision through. 


 The setting  is a Pre-War Beaux Arts building in New York City, which doesn't hurt things, since there were (most likely)  abundant architectural details already in place. Olsen masterfully updated the space with fresh colors, an engaging mix of styles, and a smattering of the unexpected.  


What I love most about the design is that it's rooted in traditional design. There are antiques, silk taffeta curtains, velvet sofas, bullion fringe, canopy beds (although freshened up with white paint), Persian rugs and floral (deGournay) wallpaper.   Olsen layered in some modern elements as well,  but it didn't feel trendy or overplayed, as in chesterfield/barcelona/chevron/ikat/suzani/geometric - rinse and repeat.  (And please don't misunderstand, the aforementioned design elements are lovely and I don't  hesitate to use any of them myself,  I just don't think they're a requirement for every space.)



I also love that it''s "pretty" .There's color!  There's pattern! There's trim! There are flowers! 



Oh, and one last/important  thing .  The apartment doesn't feel overly  "coordinated".  Olsen pulled from a wide range of colors, textures and design styles. The curtains don't match the pillows which pick up a color from the rug, etc.etc.  Of course there was an overall color concept  and mood for the space,  but then some of the pieces were chosen intuitively; just because they felt right  in the space, and not because they matched.  This maneuver is tough to pull off, and the results are never middle of the road.  It's either a home run or a swing and a miss .


And so (for me), this apartment by Nick Olsen is what great design is all about.  It starts with a base of tried and true classic pieces, layers  in some modern elements to represent where we are today, and tops it all off with a bit of the quirky and unexpected.  It's the art of the carefully chosen mix at its best. 


What did you love (or not love) about it?


Need some help pulling your style together?  The Green Room Interiors can make your home a beautiful place to be !  Call Kim Lemmon at 423.653.3186 or email thegreenroominteriors@gmail.com.

16 comments:

Unknown said...

I had a chance to read this issue last night and LOVED this apartment. I was struck by all the layers and the colors and the mix of modern and traditional that felt so "easy" and not forced and yet you know it was all planned to look just that way. It felt collected over time (the old and the new). You did a great job describing his aesthetic. And I agree, it is nice to see "pretty".

Elizabeth @ The Little Black Door said...

That bedroom is perfection.

heather (love your space) said...

LOVE! Even though I live in much more casual interiors, it is always on a traditional backbone, and part of me would love to live in a house like this. I think because it has "over the top" elements but still feels totally livable. He is becoming a master!

Cris Angsten said...

I spent a good bit of time soaking in these rooms this weekend & going through all the magazines that arrived in ONE DAY last week. I was really impressed by his bold combinations, but with so much thought behind them as well, ideal for a young family. BTW - that four poster bed is also painted white in Elle Decor, from a showhouse. What are the odds?

Splendid Sass said...

I agree with you, Kim! He did a beautiful job here. I also love the eclectic mix and the use of color, not necessarily perfectly matched. Throw in that you were trained by Miles Redd, and everything else fits!
I have gone over and over this work, even adding it as wallpaper. Just love it.
Happy Monday.
Teresa
xoxo

Stacy CUrran said...

You're SO right Kim -- it's PERFECT!
Stacy

Raina Cox said...

I recently gave up my Veranda subscription, so thank you for posting this!

Sir Nick can do no wrong.

Jamie Herzlinger said...

Happy summer! I love his work! I love the bed! I loved keeping up with your blog! Love, Jamie Herzlinger

STARDUST said...

These oversized branches are awesome!

Matters of Style said...

Nick is so talented. Veranda is def one of my favorites now.

nelya said...

You're absolutely right, it's such a wonderful mix of elements that perfectly compliment without being overly designed. He really is a mix master!

Holly Gruszka said...

I love that little peek of blue at the top of the first photo. I think that really makes that image interesting and it brings your eye all the way up and that's when you notice the beautiful details. I haven't had a chance to read this one yet but it's in my pile.

Lisa Mende Design said...

I love Nick Olsen! His work is awesome!!!

A room with a view said...

I love the layering and the idea behind a room that has evolved over time and a total mix of furniture, accessories and patterns. I do find many of the choices here are heavy and the patterns are too, for the most part. But I do appreciate that this type of design is tough to pull off and yes, the wall color, tall ceiling, white trim and all that natural light lend balance to the space.

Taylor Greenwalt said...

I also adore a mix of antiques.I love the first image. The flowers is the vase are beautiful!

The Vintique Object said...

I hadn't seen this space yet, so thanks for sharing. Love what you said about avoiding the rinse and repeat here.
Camille